Wayne Rooney breaks silence after Derby resignation

Wayne Rooney has broken his silence after announcing he would be resigning from his post as manager of Derby County last week.

CgAGVWK7MBGASUzXAACFkrtLk00873.jpg

Rooney, who resigned last week hours after it was announced that Clowes Developments had been successful in purchasing Pride Park, spent 18 months in charge of the club having initially arrived as a player.

Posting on Instagram on Wednesday afternoon, Rooney thanked all the players and staff for their support over the last three years and said that this had been one of the ‘hardest’ decisions of his career.

He wrote: ‘A massive thank you to all the fans, players, and staff at Derby for your support over the last three years.

‘This has been one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make in my career.’

He added: ‘Thanks for taking me in as one of your own. Please get behind the next manager and give them what you gave me, trust, loyalty, and unbelievable support. Some great memories I’ll never forget.’

In his first managerial role, Rooney was praised for his professionalism and ability to inspire a Derby team who were in an uncertain place with the club’s immediate future in serious doubt.

At various stages last season, it appeared as though Rooney was conjuring up one of English football’s great miracles in guiding Derby to Championship safety despite the club having had 21 points deducted.

As it was, the gap was just too much but Rooney appeared to have remained loyal to the club, saying that he would remain should a buyer be found for the club.

When Kirchner’s bid collapsed, the club was thrown into further uncertainty and Rooney himself, who always stressed the need for the football club to be saved, found his position in uncertain terms.

It has been reported since his resignation last week that his agent, Paul Stretford, is under investigation for allegedly paying players’ wages in an attempt to push through Kirchner’s bid.

A spokesperson for the Triple S agency, that represents Rooney, defended its decision to pay the wages.

A spokesperson told The Telegraph: ‘The Triple S Group is aware of The FA’s routine investigation – indeed, it was the Triple S Group that voluntarily disclosed the information to The FA which has resulted in further inquiry.

‘We were surprised that details of this investigation have appeared in the press while the investigative process is ongoing. Regardless, the Triple S Group is confident in the legal advice it sought originally and will continue to cooperate fully with The FA to resolve this matter swiftly. No further comment will be made at this time.’

Meanwhile, Liam Rosenior, Rooney’s assistant during his time at the club, has been placed in charge on an interim basis ahead of the club’s pre-season preparations.

Source: Allfootball


You May Also Like:

See more posts about:

Leave a Reply

*

code